NORCOR CORRECTIONS is seeking a Full time REGISTERED NURSE. This position will be a direct employee of NORCOR Corrections. Position requires ability to work with diverse groups in secure facilities. Professional workplace behaviors required. Criminal record may disqualify. Must have valid drivers license, pass background, drug, physical and other testing as indicated by the position. Applications and full job description below.
Annual Salary Range: $67,474.94 to $82,016.21
The position performs a variety of nursing duties in a correctional setting, exercising considerable independent judgment in all aspects of the medical program; Performs examinations of inmates and treats or refers them appropriately; Dispenses or provides for dispensing of medications under the direction of a licensed provider.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- These duties include but are not limited to the following
- Assesses medical needs and evaluates medical requirements of inmates.
- Provides nonemergency medical services during daily sick call in jail; Takes requests for medical services.
- Examines inmates as needed; Dispenses treatment.
- Administers medications and injections; Collects laboratory samples.
- Coordinates medical needs of inmates with jail providers; Works with providers to assess and treat medical conditions.
- Maintains complete medical records for each inmate.
- Has responsibility for providing health services which comply with professional, legal and agency standards.
- Arranges appointments for nonemergency medical and dental care outside the correctional facility.
- Provides for emergency medical needs of inmates; Notifies provider if needed; Contacts local hospital.
- Assesses mental status of inmates during daily sick call or as needed; makes referrals to mental health personnel.
- Orders medications and other supplies.
- Corresponds with other institutions and medical personnel to ensure continuity of care for inmates; Provides medical summaries as requested.
- Provides health education to both deputies and inmates; Promotes prevention and health improvements.
- Performs other duties as required.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. NOTE; class A Misdemeanor or Felony convictions may be disqualifying.
- Requires knowledge of the principles and practices of professional nursing.
- Possession of a license to practice as a registered nurse in the State of Oregon at the time of appointment.
- Must have a valid Oregon driver’s license.
- Physical Ability: Applicants must pass a medical exam and psychological evaluation prior to appointment.
- Criminal Record: Must be free of conviction of a crime other than a minor traffic violation. Dishonorable or undesirable discharge from the military is cause for disqualification.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE PREFERRED
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree in nursing.
- Graduation from an accredited school of nursing.
- Any satisfactory equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience relevant to the position.
- Requires ability to function independently with minimum supervision
- Act in a professional manner within a secured environment.
- Work flexible hours/shifts
- Respond to stress and medical emergencies with haste and sound judgment
- Maintain medical records
- Write clear and concise reports; communicate effectively in both oral and written form. Operate a computer; Operate general office equipment.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with individuals, whether members of the public or coworker, from diverse groups and backgrounds.
- Must maintain sufficient strength, agility and endurance to perform during stressful (physical, mental and emotional) situations encountered on the job without compromising their health and wellbeing, or that of fellow employees or other inmates.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully, perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; and use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
Jail and Detention facilities are unique by nature. Communications may be by electronic means, requiring visual and audio queues and codes. The noise level in the work place is usually moderate but is unpredictable, and can escalate to a loud level of abusive verbal sounds and terminology.
The level of security is usually secure, but there could be situations where the safety of the employee could be compromised, or the potential of a hostage or threatening situation may be present
There may also be the presence of various potentially contagious bacteria or viruses as well as the possibility of blood borne pathogens.
modified: 06/16/2016 04:58 pm